This is one of those posts I have wanted to write but kept forgetting to. I was reminded again while chatting with Marty, and when I asked him what podcasts he recommended, he went and wrote a whole post. So it's time I finally wrote mine. I'll try to break mine down into categories, too.
You've probably heard of these already, so here's one more recommendation for them!
- This American Life: really interesting, thought-provoking journalism. Recommended episodes “Are We There Yet?” and “It's Working Out Very Nicely”
- RadioLab: curiosity, science, philosophy, and other smart stuff. Recommended episodes “Henrietta Lacks” and “The Girl Who Doesn't Exist”
- Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!: current news trivia and laughs
- 2 Dope Queens: stand-up comedy with fewer straight white dudes
- Harmontown: “hilarious and off-putting” is a pretty great description, Marty.
- My Brother, My Brother and Me: an advice show for the modren era; quality goofs
- Roderick on the Line: hilarious discussions between Merlin Mann and John Roderick
- Penn's Sunday School: Penn Jillette and Co. talking about news, showbiz, politics, atheism
- Note to Self: discussions on preserving our humanity in the digital age
- Flash Forward: each episode dramatizes a possible (or not-so-possible) future scenario, then analyzes it. Recommended episode “The Witch Who Came from Mars”
- Reply All: great stories related to the internet. Also, their segment “Yes, Yes, No” trying to understand weird Twitter memes is great and could be its own separate show. Recommended episode “Storming the Castle”
- RELEVANT Podcast: faith and culture and a lot of laughs
- The Liturgists: good discussions of topics through the lenses of science, art, and faith
- Ask Science Mike: answering questions about science, faith, and life. Mike is also one of the hosts on The Liturgists
- Fun Sexy Bible Times: Christians finding humor in Christian culture. Recommended episode “#33 with Casey Haas”
Interviews / Pop Culture
- Movie Sign with the Mads: Frank Conniff, Trace Beaulieu (both from MST3K), and Carolina Hidalgo talk above movies new, old, good, and bad
- Nerdist Podcast: fun interviews with famous people
- Never Was Podcast: Mark Salomon from Stavesacre talks with other artists
- Still Buffering: Three sisters bridging the gap between teenagers of yesterday and today
- Invisibilia: really interesting stories and scientific research about the invisible things that control human behavior
- Delete Your Account: informative discussions with political activists and organizers
- We Have to Ask: I just picked up on Marty’s own podcast, where everything seems to change from episode to episode
- Professor Blastoff: Tig Notoro had a podcast but alas I did not listen to it in time. Now it's behind a paywall. :/
What podcasts do you enjoy and recommend?