The United States is operating concentration camps.
No, that is not hyperbole. No, that does not water down the term. I recommend this article about the history of concentration camps: https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2019/06/21/some-suburb-of-hell-americas-new-concentration-camp-system/
I have been really disheartened this week. I am trying not to get bogged down, though, and to do something productive to help. Here are some ideas:
- Call your representatives. @resistbot on Twitter makes it easy to call or send letters.
- Donate to RAICES, a non-profit offering legal services focusing on under-served immigrant children, families, and refugees. Any amount helps! Search Twitter for “RAICES match” and see if anyone is matching donations. Here is one person I saw doing that today: https://twitter.com/waltshaub/status/1142463637426253824
- If you are near one of the camps, join a protest on July 12
- Take action against ICE profiteers July 8-12th
- Spread the word. Share other ideas and resources!